Living in Los Angeles, meeting someone who’s vegan or has attempted to be is as common as getting Botox or lip injections. Literally, almost everyone!
Many people have adopted this lifestyle for health reasons, watching the Netflix documentary What The Health, or personal beliefs against animal cruelty. I personally have attempted it to lose weight and to get more creative in the kitchen.
I’ve tried going completely vegan once (it lasted two weeks) and the VB6 method (Vegan Before 6:00pm). I’ve experienced many positive effects after going vegan and now I’ve trained myself to go vegan 4 days out of the week. Even though I’ve partially adapted to this vegan lifestyle, there are some crucial things I wish people had warned me about before getting into this… So I’ll share them with you!
- You Will Get Gassy and Bloated at First – Be aware that if you don’t eat a lot of vegetables, going vegan will change that. With that change, you’re adding tons of fiber into your body and your body will react. Your metabolism will improve over time, but be prepared for some major stomach pains and toots in the beginning.
- You Will Lose Weight – I lost 7 pounds in my first two weeks. With the lack of protein I would get from meat, I had to find substitutions for protein with tofu, beans, and nuts. I lost a lot of muscle too, and that had an influence on my weight loss.
- You Can Also Gain Weight – Just because it’s vegan doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Many people tend to crave carbs and fried foods because of the lack of protein. Keep that in mind when you reach for that vegan burrito.
- You’ll Have More Energy – Don’t be surprised if you’re more stronger and energetic. Plant-based foods are easier to digest than meat products. You’ll be less lethargic and groggy.
- Your Skin Will Clear Up – By eating more plant-based foods, you are eliminating toxins and chemicals from your body. There are many vitamins and antioxidants in fruits and vegetables that will improve your skin and hair such as omega-3 and vitamin A.
Give it a try! Even if you do a “meatless Monday” every week, you will see the benefits from minimizing the amount of meat and processed foods you consume.
Your health is an investment, fall in love with taking care of your body!
*If you’re not a whiz in the kitchen, here are some of my favorite Vegan restaurants in Los Angeles
Gracias Madre – 8905 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90069
Cafe Gratitude – 639 N Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004
Veggie Grill – 8000 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Sage Bistro – 4130 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City, CA 90230
Sunlife Oragnics – 29169 Heathercliff Rd., #110, Malibu, CA 90265
Real Food Daily – 414 N. La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 9004